This recipe comes from Melskitchencafe.com I love so many of her recipes. This recipe is a lot like Tortilla Soup except I might like it even better. Love the Great Northern Beans in the recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 poblano pepper or large green pepper, diced
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) White beans (like Great Northers), rinsed and drained
- juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Diced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Shredded Cheese
- Tortilla Chips
Place the chicken in the bottom of a round, 5-quart slow cooker. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil until rippling and hot. Add the onion, garlic, and pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes. Scrape the mixture into the slow cooker.
Add the chicken broth and stir in the cumin, salt, pepper, oregano, and chili powder.
Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.
Remove the chicken and shred into bite-sized pieces. Stir in the rinsed and drained beans. Cook on high for 30 minutes until beans/soup are heated through. Stir in lime and cilantro and add salt and pepper to taste