Zucchini Bread with Zesty Apricot Cream Cheese Spread
This zucchini bread is full of flavor and moist and not soggy. The trick to not soggy is removing the excess liquid from the zucchini. I found this recipe in a Cook’s Country magazine. This zucchini bread is good all by itself, but with cream cheese its even better.
- 1 lb zucchini
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled
Zesty Apricot Cream Cheese Spread
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- 2 tbsp confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Generously coat a 9 by 5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
- If using a large zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon before shredding.. Using the coarse holes on a box grater, grate the zucchini,peel and all. Place the grated zucchini in a clean dish towel and wring out as much liquid as possible.
- In a large bowl add flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice and salt. Whisk together. In a different bowl add sugar, yogurt, eggs, lemon juice andbutter. Whisk together.
- Gently fold in yogurt mixture and zucchini into flour mixture using spatula just until combined. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few crumbs attached, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool at least 1 hour. ( Bread can be wrapped in plastic and stored at room temperature for 3 days)
- With rubber spatula, combine cream cheese, apricot jam, confectioners sugar, and lemon zest in bowl until smooth. (Will keep in a covered container, in refrigeratorfor a week)