This combination of chicken, ham, fresh vegetables and cheese, can be put together in less than an hour. It’s delicious served over hot cooked rice. I have had this recipe for years, it came from a cookbook called ” The Chicken Cookbook”. It is especially delicious if you use fresh garden tomatoes.
- 2 lg boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 oz sliced cooked ham cut into 1/4 inch wide strips
- 1/2 cup green pepper finely chopped
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms sliced
- 3 cups fresh tomatoes peeled, seeded and diced (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese diced or shredded (4 oz)
- hot cooked rice
- Cut chicken into 2×1/4-inch strips.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add chicken. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add ham, green pepper, and mushrooms to chicken; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Add tomatoes to chicken mixture; cook 5 minutes longer. Reduce heat; cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes longer.
- Uncover skillet, add cheese and let cheese melt, about 3 minutes longer. Serve hot over rice.