Stir-Fried Beef and Peppers
I have made this for years. It came from the first Lion House recipe book I ever purchased. The page is written on and stained from using it so much. I have made a few changes over the years and it is still a favorite.
- 1 lb lean beef cut in paper-thin strips (beef is easier to cut if partially frozen)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb mushrooms thickly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion quartered
- 2 small bell peppers, 1 red, 1 green sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can beef broth
- Combine meat strips with soy sauce, lemon juice, cornstarch, sugar and ginger. Let stand while preparing vegetables.
- Heat oil in large frying pan or Dutch oven. Stir-fry mushrooms, onions, green peppers and salt until tender crisp ( about 5 minutes). Lift vegetables from the fat reserve.
- Stir-fry meat mixture in the hot oil until it loses its pink color (a minute or two). Add vegetables and beef broth. Stir until hot.
- Serve over cooked rice.