Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili Soup
This recipe comes from Melskitchencafe.com. I love so many of her recipes. Its a lot like Tortilla Soup except I might like it even better. Love the Great Northern Beans in the recipe.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chick breasts or thighs
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 poblano pepper or large green pepper diced
- 32 oz low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 cans (15oz each) white beans like Great Northern rinsed and drained
- juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- sour cream
- diced avocado
- chopped cilantro
- shredded cheese
- tortilla chips
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a round, 5-quart slow cooker. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil until rippling and hot. Add the onion, garlic, and pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes. Scrape the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth and stir in the cumin, salt, pepper, oregano, and chili powder.
- Cook on low for 6 – 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred into bite-sized pieces. Stir in the rinsed and drained beans. Put chicken back in and cook on high for 30 minutes until beans/soup are heated through.
- Stir in lime and cilantro, add salt and pepper to taste.