Fabulous Chunky Chili
This recipe came from Cookery for Entertaining. This recipe can be cut in half. Great served with corn bread. There are all different chili recipes this is a great one to add to your collection.
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 4 lbs lean stew meat cut in small pieces (I have also used hamburger)
- 3 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 2 12 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 6 oz cans tomato paste
- 3-6 tbsp chili powder
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 1 lb cans baked beans
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 15 oz cans kidney beans drained
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans drained
- 1 can green chili optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat oil. Sauté onion and garlic until soft but not brown.
- Add beef and sausage. Cook until brown; pour off fat.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, oregano, baked beans, salt, sugar and cocoa powder.
- Simmer partially covered for 2 hours, stirring often. If too dry, add a little water as it cooks.
- Stir in kidney beans and pinto beans. Cook 30 minutes longer or until the meat is very tender May be refrigerated or frozen.