Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken
This chicken taste so good and is tender and juicy. I got this out of a Taste of the South magazine. I marinated longer than it says, I will give you the recipe their way and a few changes I made, then you can do it your way.
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tbsp hot sauce I use 1 tsp or less
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper divided
- 2 lbs skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko Japanese bread crumbs
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp dry thyme
- 3/4 tsp ground paprika
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, hot sauce, salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours ( I did for 6 and it was fine).
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cheese, bread crumbs, thyme, paprika, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Working with one piece at a time, remove chicken from liquid. Dredge in bread-crumb mixture, turning to coat evenly (It works best if you only use a little of the bread crumbs at a time because then they don't get wet). Place coated chicken on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown 40 to 45 minutes.