So light and tender, they melt in your mouth. Refrigerate or freeze batter in an airtight container for another day. I have made these since my kids were little. The book I got them from has no front or back cover. So I can’t tell you where it came from.
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk more if desired
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat a lightly oiled griddle or fry pan.
- Sift and measure flour, sift again with sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Beat egg in medium bowl. Blend in buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients, beating until smooth; blend in melted butter. Add up to 1/4 cup buttermilk for thinner pancakes.
- Cook on lightly oiled griddle or fry pan. Turn pancakes when surface bubbles begin to break. Serve immediately with syrup or sweetened whipped cream.
Variation: Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes: Stir in 2/3 cup well-drained canned blueberries or 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen blueberries just before cooking. Serve with syrup, sweetened whipped cream and additional blueberries.