Oven Barbecued Beef Brisket
I got this from a Southern Living Cookbook that I have had for years. I have made this for my family a lot and have also made it for our large extended family. It has a great flavor and the BBQ sauce starts with a commercial sauce and you add the cooking liquid from the brisket. Add some potato salad and baked beans and you're set.
- 4-5 lbs beef brisket
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup bbq sauce
- Sprinkle beef with celery salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Place in a shallow dish. Pour liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce over meat; cover with aluminum foil, and refrigerate for 8 hours, turning once.
- Cover and bake at 300 for 4 hours or until tender. Pour off liquid, reserving 1/2 cup, Combine barbecue sauce and 1/2 cup liquid, stirring well. You can pour sauce over meat or I like to just serve it on the side.
- If you pour it on before serving recipe suggests pouring over meat and then bake uncovered for an additional 30 minutes.
- To serve, slice across grain into thin slices.