Natural Yeast/ Sourdough Bread
This recipe makes a very easy and approachable loaf of delicious and healthy sourdough bread! The sour flavor is very mild and hardly detectable for picky eaters. It’s soft, light and fluffy- which makes it amazing for sandwiches or just for eating with butter and honey!
- 2 cups active and bubbly natural yeast starter (that has been fed within the last 12 hours), gently stirred down to eliminate volume from big bubbles
- 2.5 cups warm water not HOT
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted (Can use avocado or veg. oil)
- 9.5 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour or unbleached bread flour*
- In a mixer or large bowl, combine the natural yeast, water, honey, salt, egg and oil.
- Add the flour one cup at a time, mixing and kneading as it is added.
- Be careful not to add too much flour, but when the dough starts to pull away from the bowl, that’s a good sign that there is enough flour. You want the dough to be elastic and stretchy and slightly tacky.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a clean dish towel or with the lid to the mixer. Allow to rise until doubled (depending on how active your starter is, this could take about 4-6 hours).
- When dough has doubled in size, empty onto a lightly oiled surface and divide in three equal portions. Form into loaves and put each piece into a greased 1.5 quart, or 9×5 inch bread loaf baking dish. If using ceramic or glass, you will need to line with parchment paper as natural yeast will dissolve any non-stick spray on the sides of the glass pans (this isn’t an issue for non-stick metal pans).
- Cover again and let rise until doubled, anywhere from 3-5 hours.
- Once doubled, bake at 400 degrees for 28 minutes or until internal temp reaches 180 degrees.
- When they come out of the oven, immediately remove the loaves of bread from the bread pans and carefully set onto a cooling rack to prevent condensation.
- Let the bread cool, then slice into it and enjoy!
*If using kamut, use 8 to 8.5 cups white wheat kamut.