Velvet Cheese Soup
This recipe came from Cooking for Entertaining. My friend Jeri and I used this often when we were catering. This savory, golden soup is more than irresistible it’s nourishing too. One of my favorites.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded natural Cheddar cheese 12 oz
- 1/2 tsp Dijon style mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled, if desired
- 3 potatoes peeled, cubed and cooked, if desired
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add carrots, onion and celery, sauté until soft but not brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Add flour. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until blended. Slowly add 3 cups chicken broth, stirring with a wire whisk until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Place in a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade. You can also use a immersion blender. Blend until smooth. (I don't do this because I chopped the vegetables really fine and don't mind the chunks.)
- Return mixture to saucepan if removed and stir in remaining 1cup broth and milk. Stir in cheese, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer over low heat until soup is hot and cheese is melted. Do Not Boil! May refrigerate up to 2 days or frozen.
- To serve garnish with bacon if desired.