Best German Chocolate Bundt Cake
from Aboutifulkitchen.com "My recipe for Best German Chocolate Bundt Cake will take your confidence in baking to the next level! Best German Chocolate Bundt Cake takes the mystery out of makingthis special occasion treat in your kitchen. I’m going to share with you my simple, make-ahead version of Best German Chocolate Bundt cake that will knock your socks off.This cake’s simple, gooey, moist deliciousness will convince you to never, ever, buy a German Chocolate Cake again!"
- 1 box chocolate cake mix any brand will work
- 1/2 box instant pudding chocolate dry, not mixed with milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 oz evaporated milk not sweetened condensed
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp butter cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sweet glake
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened not low fat
- 1/4 cup butter room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coaoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in the center of the oven.
- Place the wet ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix until blended well.
- Add the cake mix, box of pudding, unsweetened cocoa and sugar. Mix for about 2 minutes on medium speed or until blended well. Turn beater on high for about 1 minute.
- Generously grease a bundt pan. Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake for about 45-50 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched lightly. MAKE THE TOPPING AND FROSTING WHILE CAKE IS BAKING.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes, then turn cake out onto cooking rack and let cool top side down until completely cooled.
- Beat Evaporated milk, egg yolks, and vanilla in a large sauce pan with a whisk or fork.
- Add sugar and butter and cook over medium heat for about 10-12 minutes until mixture is thickened and starts to turn a golden color. Whisk while cooking every few seconds.
- When the mixture has thickened, remove from heat and add coconut and nuts. Set aside to cool. Place in a bowl and set in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Beat cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and cocoa powder and beat on low until smooth.
- Add vanilla and pinch of salt.
- Using large Ziplock bag, or cake decorating bag, placing the bag inside of the cup or small bowl. fold the ends of the bag over a cup, and fill the bag with the frosting. Squeeze the frosting to one end of the bag. Snip off a small end of the bag when ready to frost.
- Place the cake on a flat plate or cake stand.Top the cake with the coconut pecan mixture using a spoon.Using the bag of frosting, pipe the frosting onto the cake until all of the frosting is used. You may also fill two bags and snip off one large and one smaller opening if you want to achieve a look similar to the one in the photo.
-The key to getting a bundt cake to come out of the pan in one piece is not flour, but lots of oil coating the pan. I use cooking spray. Just a basic PAM spray. Spray on more than you think you need. Two coats. don’t forget the middle of the pan. -You may use any brand of cake mix, I usually prefer Duncan Hines, or in this cake Betty Crocker. -Do not mix the pudding with milk before adding to the cake. -Start in the middle and work your way outward when piping on the frosting. -Because the frosting is made with cream cheese, store in fridge if there are any leftovers. -This cake may also be made as a sheet pan cake! Simply follow directions and bake in a standard sheet pan for about 20-25 minutes or until top is set and springs back lightly when touched. I advise making 1 1/2 of the pecan and coconut filling. The standard amount in the recipe for the bundt pan works, but needs to be carefully spooned on to make sure there is enough filling to cover the surface of the sheet pan cake. For frosting, you may spread on the frosting on top of the pecan coconut layer, or thin the frosting a bit with a few tablespoons of milk. After thinning out frosting, spoon into a pastry bag or a Gallon Ziplock bag with the corner cut off. Drizzle on top of cake using a back and forth motion from one end of the cake to another. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve.