Soft Ginger Cookies
A sister in our ward made these for young women’s. With a hit of molasses, these cookies do stay soft, they are rolled in sugar and crack on top while they bake. You might want to double the batch, they are yummy.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter or shortening or half of each
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix butter (or shortening) and sugar together.
- Add egg and molasses and blend well.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt. Use a whisk to combine.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture a little at a time while mixing until incorporated. Blend well and then chill for 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Remove from refrigerator and form into 1 inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Let cool a couple of minutes on cookie sheet, remove and let completely cool.
I have only used unsalted butter.